The Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems has campuses in Stuttgart and Tübingen. Our goal is to understand the principles of perception, action and learning in autonomous systems that successfully interact with complex environments and to use this understanding to design future artificially intelligent systems. The institute studies these principles in biological, computational, hybrid, and material systems ranging from nano- to macro-scales. We take a highly interdisciplinary approach that combines mathematics, computation, materials science, and biology.
The Empirical Inference Department at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen is looking for a
Scientific Coordinator (m/f/d) 75-100%
The problems studied at the Empirical Inference Department can be subsumed under the heading of empirical inference, i.e. inference performed on the basis of empirical data.
The institute has recently joined forces with other leading institutions in Artificial Intelligence Research to establish the European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems (ELLIS).
Department website: https://ei.is.mpg.de
You will support, coordinate, and/or manage
- scientific collaborations, such as ELLIS, and scientific collaboration contracts
- major equipment decisions and purchases
- scientific visits (interns, sabbaticals, talks, etc.)
- third party funding (proposals, planning, administration, reporting)
- patent process and licensing requests
- budget planning
- demonstrations, external visits, presentations
- website, wiki, and social media content
- hiring and recruiting including PhD recruiting
- press contacts and press releases
- internal workshops and help manage deadlines
- workshops and other external events
- general administrative processes at the department
Skills / Qualifications
- Completed university degree (Master’s level) in natural sciences (Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics or a similar field), ideally a PhD
- Very good command of both English and German(at least C1 level)
- The willingness and capability to learn about the research topics
- Very strong management and organizational skills
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Team player
- Independent and responsible
- A high level of resilience and professionalism
- Professional experience in running structured, international PhD programs and/or in research administration would be an asset
You will work closely and collaboratively with scientists, other research coordinators, students, programmers, administrative staff, IT support and central scientific facilities to help achieve the scientific goals of the department and the institute.
We offer highly interesting, challenging and varied tasks at the interface between science and administration in a highly topical field of research. A dedicated team awaits you in an international environment with regular opportunities for further education and training. The salary is paid in accordance with the collective agreement for the public sector (TVoeD Bund), according to your qualifications. This position is initially limited to two years, with the possibility of a permanent contract.
The place of work will be Tuebingen.
The Max Planck Society seeks to employ more handicapped people and strongly encourages them to apply. Furthermore, we actively support the compatibility of work and family life. The Max Planck Society also seeks to increase the number of women in leadership positions and strongly encourages qualified women to apply. The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity.
Your application must contain a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and relevant certificates. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
The position is available immediately and will be open until filled. Preference will be given to applications received by July 31, 2019. Inquiries should be sent to Sabrina Jung, firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to receiving your online application:
If you prefer to submit your application by post, please mail it to us stating the reference number ISW020:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Joint Administration, Heisenbergstr. 1, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany