Research Group Leader
Currently, I am a group leader for the causality group at the MPI Tuebingen.
My work focuses mainly on causal inference: we try to learn causal structures either from purely observational data or from a combination of observational and interventional data. We therefore develop both theory and methodology. Our work relates to areas like high-dimensional statistics, computational statistics or graphical models. It's an exciting research area with lots of open questions!
Before joining Tuebingen, I was a postdoc (Marie Curie fellowship) at the Seminar für Statistik, ETH Zurich (CH). During my PhD and Postdoc I have been working with Dominik Janzing and Bernhard Schölkopf at the MPI for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen (GER), and later with Peter Bühlmann and Nicolai Meinshausen at ETH Zurich. I have spent three months with Leon Bottou at Microsoft Research (WA, USA) in 2011 and two months with Martin Wainwright at UC Berkeley (CA, USA) in 2013. In 2014, I have been working with Peter Spirtes at CMU (Pittsburgh, USA) for two months. I studied Mathematics in Heidelberg (GER) and in Cambridge (UK).
- Our work on discovery on cause-effect relationships got accepted at JMLR. See also its discussion on the physics arxiv blog and on slashdot.
- I wish you a wonderful year 2016, and many causes for happyness.
- Our paper on invariant prediction got accepted as a discussion paper at JRSS, Series B.
- May 11th - May 21st, 2016, I will give a causality lecture at the MLSS in Cádiz, Spain.
- March 6th-12th 2016, I will participate in the Oberwolfach workshop "Comp. and Stat. Efficient Inference for Complex Large-scale Data".
- Dec 13th, I've been organizing a session "Causal discovery in practice: Advances and challenges" at ERCIM, London. It was very interesting!
I have written a script on causality that I am more than happy to receive feedback on. Please note that it is still missing some sections. It can be downloaded here.
Invited Talks: Conferences and Workshops
- Nov 2015: Workshop on "Exploring the earth system data cube", Jena
- Oct 2015: Tutorial at GCPR, Aachen
- Sep 2015: DMV - Minisymposium Statistics on Complex Structures, Hamburg
- Jul 2015: ISI - World Statistics Congress, Rio de Janeiro
- Mar 2015: Workshop on Big Data in Health Policy, Toronto
- Mar 2015: Causation from Correlation?, Die Junge Akademie, Ohlstadt
- Dec 2014: ERCIM, Working Group CMStatistics, Pisa
- Jul 2014: IMS Annual Meeting, Sydney
- Jun 2014: Workshop on Simplicity and Causal Discovery, Pittsburgh
- Dec 2013: NIPS Workshop on Causality, Lake Tahoe
- Sep 2012: Networks: Processes and Causality, Menorca
- Sep 2010: International Symposium on Quantum Thermodynamics, Stuttgart
- Oct 2009: Machine Learning approaches to statistical dep. and causality, Schloss Dagstuhl
Invited Talks: Research Visits
- Jan 2015: University of St. Andrews, St Andrews
- Jan 2015: Statslab, University of Cambridge, Cambridge
- Jan 2015: Microsoft Research, Cambridge
- Jan 2015: UCL Seminar Series, London
- Jan 2015: WIAS, Berlin
- Jul 2014: UCLA, Los Angeles
- Jul 2014: Caltech, Pasadena
- Mar 2014: University of Regensburg, Regensburg
- Jan 2014: University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam
- Jan 2014: University of Nijmegen, Nijmegen
- Nov 2013: UC Berkeley, Berkeley
- Dec 2012: IST Austria, Vienna
- Nov 2012: MPI for Dynamics and Self-Organization, Goettingen
- Jun 2012: Teleconference Causality
- Jun 2011: Seminar for Statistics, ETH Zurich, Zurich
- Jun 2010: MPI for Biogeochemistry, Jena
- Mar 2009: Teleconference Causality
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology,
- Annals of Statistics
- Bernoulli Journal
- IEEE Transactions of Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence,
- IEEE Information Theory,
- Journal of American Statistical Association
- Journal of Machine Learning Research,
- Statistics and Computing
- AISTATS 2015
- ICML (2012, 2013, 2014)
- ICONIP 2011,
- IEEE Int. Workshop on ML for Signal Proc. (2012)
- NIPS (2011, 2015)
- COLT 2015
- UAI (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)